Monday, October 8, 2012

Remembering Dr. Fears

On Sunday, I heard that Dr. J. Rufus Fears passed away. He was one of OU's most beloved professors.

I spent 5 semesters with Dr. Fears. I took Freedom in Rome, Freedom in Greece, Letters Capstone, Honors Reading, and Honors Research with him.

He was a hero, a mentor, a brilliant professor, an entertaining speaker, and one of the greatest teachers of our era. He cannot be replaced, and he will never be forgotten. He taught me so much about history and life. 

I'm glad that I spent so much time with him, and I'm glad that I completed my Senior Honors Thesis on the Mysteries of Mithraism with him last semester.

But I wanted to spend more time with him. I can't believe I won't speak to him again.

I miss him a lot.

 Dr. Fears and I after a "Freedom in Rome" class in the spring of 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment