Monday, October 3, 2011

Good Side Heroes: Gandalf and Eowyn

Gandalf the White
(click for larger image)
I'm really happy with the way Gandalf the White turned out. I decided to give him a brown basecoat to help with the white colors. I transitioned from brown to tan to white, and I ended up leaving the brown in as shading.

If I had thought about it, I never would have left brown shading on a white miniature, but for some strange reason, I think it works.

Gandalf looked like Moses while I was painting him. He's parting the Red Sea.

Gandalf the Grey
(click for larger image)
I started painting Gandalf the Grey in 2007, not long after I switched from Testors Enamel paints to Citadel Acrylics, but it took me 2-3 years to force myself to finish painting him. I tried various grays and blues on his cloak and hat before being happy/settling for my own sanity.

I'm not going to tell you where, but this miniature is an example of the Principle of Let-Things-Be, where you try to fix one little bit of paint that's out of line--and in the process you make things worse for a large area of the mini.

So then I had to fix up the big mistake-splotch. But I got it. And now I don't really remember where the mistake was.

I think...

Eowyn
(click for larger image)
Sorry, ladies. I'm taken.

'nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment