Saturday, September 10, 2011

I Remember 9/11

I remember September 11, 2001.

I was ten years old, eating breakfast at home with my mother and brother. We had scrambled eggs and sausage. I was thinking about Bionicle, LEGO's new line of toys, and the school that I need to do for the day.

Then my dad called and told us to turn on the television. The Pentagon was burning.
Columns of smoke were rising from the Twin Towers.

I had found out about the World Trade Center the year before, I think, and I wanted to visit them at some point. Now they were burning.

Then I watched the towers collapse, and my heart fell with them. That's the only way I can describe it.

Then the smoke, and the photos of people falling, and the stories.

The questions, the newspapers, the flags, the vigils, and the war.

Everything changed. It was the defining moment of my generation.

I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment