Monday, April 25, 2011

Making Sense of a Nonsensical World

Hey, C. S. Lewis, I'm reading A Grief Observed for the second time this year. For some reason, I feel happier after reading--and writing--really sad things.

I need to stop trying to change the world.
I need to lose my need for everything to make sense: God, theology, people, everything.

Quite often, the world just doesn't make sense, and it's high-time that I stop expecting--and demanding--for it to make sense.

I have to learn how to let go of the things that I can't change: other people, theology, Hell, predestination, history, the NFL Lockout, etc.

No matter what I believe, no matter what I feel, my feelings and beliefs don't change reality.

What's true is true, whether it's comfortable or brutal.

Reality is brutal. It's also full of contradictions everywhere you look.


Sometimes it's really nice though.

Life is pretty nice with the family. Pretty nice watching soccer. Pretty nice reading Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein.

Pretty nice when you let go of the stress, realizing that we will all die one day.

But that day is not today.


Oh, and I also need to learn when to keep my mouth shut. That could save a lot of heartache.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I have a brief response to your blog post, just a few opinions I thought I'd share. First, never stop trying to change the world; that would make you a boring person (and a boring writer). Second, feelings and beliefs may not change reality, but that doesn't mean they don't matter. After all, you're a writer, so it's your job to express and explore those things, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, feelings and beliefs do matter.
    And yes, it is my job to express and explore those things.

    And...yes, I guess there is something to be said for trying to change the world.

    Haha, thanks Chloe. You deconstructed my pity-party.

    ReplyDelete